Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Phone Thief? Not really

"My cell phone was stolen last Friday. I had it disconnected and arranged to get a replacement. It had been set up with the excellent service from ShoZu to automatically upload all pictures taken with the phone to Flickr. So today, completely surprisingly, I find pictures on my Flickr account of the family of the person who took the phone."

read more | digg story

This is a great story, and a fun one. Steal a phone; but get caught & abused in public because you use it. Fun enough that several other Diggers blogged it. Unfortunately, it's not true. Repeat after me: HOAX! Several commenters note that the photos are 'stock photos' from elsewhere on the Internet, uploaded to someone's Flickr account as a viral marketing ploy for this ShoZu service. Clever, but... BUSTED!

Question everything!!! You'll notice my comment in the Digg list, as questioning whether the photos are the thief, or just some poor schmuck that happened to buy a cheap phone. So I did question the story.... I just didn't question *deep* enough! Bad me!

1 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

Just wanted to assure you that this really is not a viral marketing campaign by ShoZu.

A couple of the photos are stock, but ShoZu would have uploaded all new photos on the phone (whether captured with the camera or downloaded from a web site). The thief may have downloaded the photos as wallpapers, for example.

The poor victim is being accused of taking money from ShoZu, which is absolutely untrue. Fortunately he is taking it all in good humour.

Anyway, thanks for your interest in this story.

Andy Tiller
CTO ShoZu

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home